infinitejoe

Infinite Joe

I like challenging books that make you think, and leave you happy that you did. Typically, I find character driven literary fiction the most satisfying, although I in no way think of myself as a serious literary critic.

Unaccustomed Earth
Jhumpa Lahiri
Progress: 282/333 pages

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men - David Foster Wallace There are a lot of good reviews about this book, and the reviewers can all do a better job than me in going into the specifics. I will agree that although this book is really good (with the exception of "Tri-Stan: I Sold Sissee Nar to Ecko"), it isn't DFW's best. I don't agree, though, with those who think he is arrogant and egotistical. I think he was just an extremely intelligent person that wanted to share whatever was in his head, both for the reader, and for himself as a kind of catharsis. His writings cover all aspects of being human. Psychology, philosophy, depression, addiction, boredom, human interaction (many times the awkwardness of or lack of), shameless honest introspection, &c. And he does it all with amazing prose, varying literary techniques, and a sense of openness. Sure, it's challenging to read. But if you're willing to engage, the payoff is worth it.