infinitejoe

Infinite Joe

I like challenging books that make you think, and leave you happy that you did. Typically, I find character driven literary fiction the most satisfying, although I in no way think of myself as a serious literary critic.

Unaccustomed Earth
Jhumpa Lahiri
Progress: 282/333 pages

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America - Erik Larson I wish I had read this about 2 months ago. I would have used the free time on my week-and-a-half business trip to Chicago a lot differently.

Both parts of this book had me completely captivated (the two main threads alternated throughout the book). I found the sections on the history of the World's Fair in Chicago fascinating. I had no idea so many things had originated from this moment in the history of our country, and still can't believe that such an enormous undertaking was completed in such a short period of time. The sections on the serial killer H.H. Holmes were just as interesting, albeit in a different way. It was true crime on par with Ann Rule, and a window into the mental workings of a murderous psychopath.

I found this book to be a thrilling read and extremely difficult to put down.