infinitejoe

Infinite Joe

I like challenging books that make you think, and leave you happy that you did. Typically, I find character driven literary fiction the most satisfying, although I in no way think of myself as a serious literary critic.

Unaccustomed Earth
Jhumpa Lahiri
Progress: 282/333 pages

The Collector

The Collector - John Fowles 4.5 stars out of 5.

A book written from two perspectives, F. Clegg the kidnapper, and Miranda, the 20-year old item of his obsession.

The first part of the book, which belongs to F. Clegg's point of view was good enough, but the second half added a layer of complexity which really brought depth to the nature of the relationship between these two.

At first, I was unsure as to the reason the author had Miranda spend so much time thinking about G.P. in the second half, a friend from before her abduction, but the more the book progressed, I saw it as more of a contrast to the relationship between her and Clegg, and how feelings between people are dynamic and often change, affected by cumulative experience, time, particular events, and an evolving self. Even Clegg's feelings, typically rigid but detached from reality, change in the scene where Miranda does the thing that Clegg finds degrading.

The author drew up two deep characters and gave us a good story with a very satisfying ending. It's easy for an author to get you to dislike a sociopath, but it's more difficult to get you to despise him even more because he's a "gentlemanly" sociopath. I enjoyed this book a lot and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good read.