infinitejoe

Infinite Joe

I like challenging books that make you think, and leave you happy that you did. Typically, I find character driven literary fiction the most satisfying, although I in no way think of myself as a serious literary critic.

Unaccustomed Earth
Jhumpa Lahiri
Progress: 282/333 pages

Will You Please Be Quiet, Please?: Stories

Will You Please Be Quiet, Please? - Raymond Carver As I finished each story, I would go back to the table of contents and rate each one from 1 to 5 stars. Then, at the end, I calculated the average and came up with 3.36 stars.

However, after reading the last story, which to me was far and away the best one, I though I might have been a little generous with some of my previous stars.

Anyway, the stories themselves were pretty good, a lot of them leaving me with an uncomfortable and sometimes creeped-out feeling at the end, but I'm not sure if it was the brevity of the stories that left me ultimately unsatisfied, or the he said/she said/he said minimalist conversation style that he used. I guess it was probably a little bit of both. I still prefer Alice Munro as a short story writer, but I wouldn't rule out giving Carver another go at some point in the future.