infinitejoe

Infinite Joe

I like challenging books that make you think, and leave you happy that you did. Typically, I find character driven literary fiction the most satisfying, although I in no way think of myself as a serious literary critic.

Unaccustomed Earth
Jhumpa Lahiri
Progress: 282/333 pages

A Constellation of Vital Phenomena: A Novel

A Constellation of Vital Phenomena: A Novel - Anthony Marra I give this one a 4.75, which I realize wouldn't even work on a 10 star scale. I thought the book was exceptionally well written and plotted out, with great prose. It felt like you were right there with the characters, trying to survive alongside them in a war torn corner of the world. The story was good throughout and the ending was satisfying as well. The reason I'm deducting 0.25 stars is because of the epiloguish way some of the fates of the characters are revealed. It was done in a very subtle way throughout the book, and not in a big section titled "Epilogue" at the end of the book, so at least that was good, but I usually like to be left wondering about how the lives of some the characters turn out. That's usually how a book will stick with me.

Anyway, a great debut novel, and I'll make sure to read his follow-up, whenever he gets around to writing it.