infinitejoe

Infinite Joe

I like challenging books that make you think, and leave you happy that you did. Typically, I find character driven literary fiction the most satisfying, although I in no way think of myself as a serious literary critic.

Unaccustomed Earth
Jhumpa Lahiri
Progress: 282/333 pages

Although Of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself: A Road Trip with David Foster Wallace - David Lipsky I saw a lot of 4 star reviews on this one, which I can completely understand, because I was going to give it 4 stars too, because how could I possibly give this the same amount of stars that I gave DFW's actual books? And then I thought, you know what, screw it, it's 5 stars. Maybe not a 5 stars in the way that Infinite Jest was a 5 stars, but it's a 5 stars nonetheless. Although DFW's books give you a deep understanding of his innermost thoughts and feelings, this "book" gives it to you in a more straightforward and unedited (well, less edited, at least) form. It really highlights what a brilliant person he was, and yet how unbelievably conflicted he could be (or always was), and it sadly reminds me of just how much we lost not only as readers, but as people, when he decided to take his own life.