infinitejoe

Infinite Joe

I like challenging books that make you think, and leave you happy that you did. Typically, I find character driven literary fiction the most satisfying, although I in no way think of myself as a serious literary critic.

Unaccustomed Earth
Jhumpa Lahiri
Progress: 282/333 pages

Christian Nation: A Novel

Christian Nation - Frederic C. Rich A disturbing tale that is not a prediction of what would happen should evangelicals gain ultimate political control, but only one of the possible outcomes. The author carries this particular outcome to a chilling, worst-case scenario, which although at times seems very hard to believe, is nevertheless not completely absurd, considering how other authoritarian regimes have come to power and terrorized their people in the past. If anything, it serves as a hopeful wake-up call for those of us who believe in the separation of church and state to keep vigilant of fundamentalism, and the fundamentalists' desired rise to power. One only has to watch closely to see instances of attempted fundamentalist policy-making on the local and state levels, sometimes reaching as high as the federal level. Christian Nation is a reminder that apathy and inactivity can be dangerous and may possibly jeopardize the freedoms we take for granted.