infinitejoe

Infinite Joe

I like challenging books that make you think, and leave you happy that you did. Typically, I find character driven literary fiction the most satisfying, although I in no way think of myself as a serious literary critic.

Unaccustomed Earth
Jhumpa Lahiri
Progress: 282/333 pages

The Circle

The Circle - Dave Eggers This book was a quick read with a flowing story and plenty of social commentary. The story serves as a warning for us to keep an eye on the continuing advance of social media, and the internet in general, especially when it relates to the super huge companies that are able to collect a massive amount of data on the people who use their services. It serves as a discussion on the idea of transparency versus privacy, and how deep people are willing to get into the idea that not only should they have a right to know everything about everyone else, but that everyone else should have a responsibility to know about them. Some of the characters in the novel seem to live for the attention and the validation and the congratulations they receive for their every little action or post on the Internet, which let's be honest, is already a reality for many people. This mode of interaction can serve to change people and even societies should it arrive too quickly, catching us unprepared with how to deal with it, as is shown through the characters and plot in this timely book. Although some of the plot turns were telegraphed, and some of the dialogue seemed slightly contrived and maybe a little preachy, the core of the novel was very solid, and the ending was exceptional as well. I would definitely recommend it.