infinitejoe

Infinite Joe

I like challenging books that make you think, and leave you happy that you did. Typically, I find character driven literary fiction the most satisfying, although I in no way think of myself as a serious literary critic.

Unaccustomed Earth
Jhumpa Lahiri
Progress: 282/333 pages

We Need to Talk About Kevin

We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver Disturbing and unsettling. And I liked the book because of it, not in spite of it. Sometimes it's good to connect with some of the characters you're reading about, and other times it's necessary to be caught outside of your comfort zone, and not particularly like ANY of the characters you're reading about, because really, do you feel like you connect with the majority of people you know/meet, or it is actually just a very select few? A lot of people out there simply aren't very good people, or good parents. And some kids do grow up to be impossible to discipline, affectless, without empathy, and yes, mass murderers. True, it doesn't always happen the way it does in the book, but who ever said that it did? This book was a good read throughout, with a chilling ending, and then what I thought was an even chillier ending to that ending.