infinitejoe

Infinite Joe

I like challenging books that make you think, and leave you happy that you did. Typically, I find character driven literary fiction the most satisfying, although I in no way think of myself as a serious literary critic.

Unaccustomed Earth
Jhumpa Lahiri
Progress: 282/333 pages

Model Home

Model Home - Eric Puchner After reading the "The Best American Short Stories - 2012", edited by Tom Perrotta, one of my favorite current authors, I decided to see if any of the authors of the better stories had written any novels. I came up with a few that seemed like they'd be worth a try, and made this one my first.

The book is about a family of five that starts to decay and come apart at the seems after a mixture of bad decisions and a tragic accident, and how they try to deal with their situation, sometimes making things better, and more often than not making them worse. The characters and their interactions seemed real and intimate, with an authentic emotional thread throughout. Quirky and depressing, the book made me laugh out loud at some parts while leaving me in somber thought at others. The pace was perfect, and I just wanted to keep reading.

Loved this book, and I hope to see more coming from this author.